Notice: Undefined index: full in /home3/fitlov6e/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cloudinary-image-management-and-manipulation-in-the-cloud-cdn/cloudinary.php on line 296
Cinnamon, the bark of a tree has a characteristic smell and flavor. Majorly used for its sweet aroma, there are innumerable health benefits of cinnamon that the mankind has discovered over the time span of decades.
Other names of Cinnamon –
- Cinnamomum zeylanicum (Botanical name)
- Lavanga pattai (Tamil)
- Dalchini (Hindi)
Calories in Cinnamon ( Dalchini ) : 229 K.cal.
Major Nutrients Present:
Fiber : 48.5 gm
The aim of this article is to unravel the health benefits of cinnamon that has long lost in the times of antibiotics and instantly relieving drugs.
Health Benefits of Cinnamon ( Dalchini )
- Cinnamon is a potential cure for Parkinsons’s Disease. A study in 2014 made at a popular medical research university on mice affected with the disease suggested that cinnamon bears the invincible capability to instigate biochemical, anatomical and biomechanical changes in nerve cells of the experimental group.
- A polymer derived from cinnamon called Procyanidin can be used to prevent the development of the HIV positive virus into full-fledged AIDS. Another component of cinnamon called Eugenol is highly efficient against herpes.
- Cinnamon is a warm spice. In the Indian subcontinent, it has been used all over the world to cure coughs and cold. An important condiment in many warm concoctions, cinnamon has also been proven as a cure to winter blues. Apparently, the delicate smell of cinnamon sticks reduces irritability, leaving a soothing effect on the senses.
- Cinnamon has large amounts of manganese present in it. This manganese can combat the symptoms of PMS. Studies have proven that at least 5.6 mg of manganese in a woman’s diet can help reduce menstrual cramps and mood swings.
- Alzheimer’s disease has five aggressive strains of genes that result in the appearance of the symptoms. Oral administration of cinnamon sticks corrects the cognitive impairment associated with the disease. University of Tel Aviv, Israel effectively tested the role of cinnamon on the expression of genes resulting in Alzheimer’s disease through animal models, providing ample evidence of the same to infer direct conclusions.
- Cough, cold and an itchy sore throat can be cured effectively with some cinnamon tea. Due to its antibacterial properties, it inhibits the growth of bacteria leading to fever and a runny nose. Furthermore, the warming capability of cinnamon improves oxygen levels in the blood, which allows the meltdown of phlegm relieving you instantly.
- WebMd has put forth references of a successful attempt of using cinnamon as an insect repellant. From fighting bugs to mosquitoes and lice treatment, cinnamon has been extremely fruitful under considerably large number of circumstances.
- The antibacterial and antifungal properties of cinnamon can be used to treat small fungal and bacterial infestations, mostly on nails or in case of infections from wounds and bruises. The oil extracted from the leaf of cinnamon when used as a topical treatment can treat numerous minor concerns in a matter of hours. ( you can try this cinnamon oil )
- Cinnamon thins the blood. This increases the blood pressure effectively. Boosting your metabolism, cinnamon thereby assists and aids the process of weight loss.
- The thinning of blood property of cinnamon allows it to use in a number of medications where the heart and the blood vessels stand at the risk of being clogged. The thinning property of cinnamon is because of a compound called Coumarin which, if consumed in excess, can lead to liver damage. An unusual health benefit of cinnamon, this one does have a dark side to it.
- The bark of cinnamon and cinnamon leaves is rich in a large number of anti-oxidants. These antioxidants have the ability to initiate repair to the damage in multiple types of tissues in the human body, including dermal tissues and tissues in some vital organs.
- Cinnamon kills body odor effectively by inhibiting the growth of bacteria whose reproduction lends the sweat its characteristic smell. However, it does not simply neutralize body odor, but is highly effective in a large number of other foul odors too.
- Sri-Lankan and Tamil culture uses cinnamon as a preservative in food. The antibacterial and antifungal property of the condiment does not allow the growth of microorganisms, keeping the food item fresh for longer. This has lead to the increased use of cinnamon in pickles and jams, both sweet and savory.
FREE SHIPPING on orders over $50* – Highest quality Spices & Ingredients
14. Cinnamon cures insulin resistance, particularly in type two diabetes patients who experience regular fluctuations in the blood sugar levels.
However, a type two diabetes patient might be advised otherwise under multiple scenarios for the ingredient responsible for checking blood sugar level, Coumarin is often responsible for liver damage.
Cinnamon works with an efficiency of around 3-5 percent of sugar levels in the blood, it works like a group of diabetic drugs from the previous generation of medications and has proven exceptionally well for pre-diabetics.
It is surprising how a mere condiment derived from a tree can be beneficial in so many ways. These health benefits of cinnamon when practiced with some degree of caution, can yield lead you to a healthy life by overcoming minor hurdles in your path.
Major Nutrients Present- Nutritive Value of Indian Foods from National Institute of Nutrition.
Last Published on: Dec 6, 2015