Lemon is one of the most alkaline-forming foods originated from Assam ( a region in North East India).The health benefits of lemons are due to its most nourishing elements like Vitamin C .
Other names of Lemon –
- Citrus limon ( Botanical name )
- Yelumichai ( Tamil )
Calories (energy) in Lemon : 57 K.cal / 100 gm
Major Nutrients Present in Lemon:
Health Benefits of Lemon :
Following are the few important health benefits of lemon.
- Lemon is a great source of vitamin C, which act as antioxidants.
- Potassium in Lemon helps in cardiac muscle functioning.
- They are very low in saturated fat, sodium and cholesterol.
- It has antibacterial properties which promote clear skin and can speed up healing and relieve itching.
- Useful to bad breaths and combat toothache easing the pain reducing any swelling.
- Lemon juice with honey in warm water is a good remedy for fever and constipation.
Points of Caution:
- Excessive consumption of lemon can upset stomach and may also damage teeth.
- Can lose weight too fast, and can result in extra fat storage and can cause fatigue.
Major Nutrients Present- Nutritive Value of Indian Foods from National Institute of Nutrition.