Peas are one of the most nutritious legumes.
Other names of Peas –
- Pisum sativum (Botanical name)
- Pattani (Tamil name)
Calories (energy) in Peas : 315 K. cal / 100 gm
Major Nutrients Present in Peas :
Health Benefits of Peas :
- Pea contains folic acid, which is required by pregnant women to prevent neural tube defects in newborn.
- It acts as an antioxidant.
- It helps to lower cholesterol level.
- Promotes osteotrophic activity in the bones.
- Peas prevent Alzheimer’s disease by limiting neural tube dysfunction.
- Vitamin A content in peas helps in maintaining the health of skin , mucus membranes and eyesight.
- Helps in losing weight.
Points of Caution:
- Excess intake may increase the risk of gout because of the presence of purines.
Major Nutrients Present- Nutritive Value of Indian Foods from National Institute of Nutrition.