Flood is a major concern nowadays. We should know the safety tips for a flood. Let’s know what flood is and it causes.
What is a Flood ?
A flood is a natural phenomenon that can have tremendous effects on biotic and abiotic. Simply, too much water in the wrong location can be named a flood.
How is flood caused ?
Generally, a flood is caused by sturdier heavy rainfall over a period of days, where there is too much rain water to fit in the rivers, making the course of the water flow rate exceeds the capacity of the river channel. This type of flood commonly occurs in large rivers with large catchment areas. It may be the result of sustained heavy rainfall, snow melt, monsoon, cyclones etc.
Some floods are slow in action, whereas others can develop in just a few minutes and without visible sign of rain in the sky, like the flash flood (Rapid flooding). This type of flood occurs in small rivers, rivers with steep valleys, rivers that flow in impermeable terrain or normally dry channels. It occurs with little or no warning and causes bigger loss of human life than any other type of flood.
There are some safety tips to prepare before and after flooding.
1. Safety tips Before a flood:
- Avoid construction of building in flood-prone areas.
- Construct barriers with both sides plastering to stop floodwater from entering your house.
- Seal the walls in basements with waterproof compounds.
- If a flood is expected soon in your area, listen to the TV and Radio for information.
2. When a flood is Imminent:
- Prepare a bag with important items and valuable documents in case you need to evacuate. Don’t forget to include needed first aid materials and medicines. ( Get some Emergency food Storage Products )
- If there is the possibility of a flash flood, move immediately to a higher location.
- If possible, equip yourself with outdoor furniture and move along with essential items to an upper floor.
- Turn off power lines at the main switches and disconnect electrical gadgets.
3. During a flood:
- Don’t walk through moving water.
- If there is a compulsion to walk in water, use a stick to check the firmness of the ground around you.
- Don’t drive into flooded areas. Abandon the car or motor and move to a higher ground for your safety.
- Don’t touch electrical equipment and appliances, if your body is wet or standing in water.
4. After flood:
- Listen to the news reports whether the community water supply is safe to drink.
- Avoid floodwater. It may be contaminated with various materials which are very harmful to your health.
- If there is no available fresh water, Collect rain water, boil it for your regular consumption, after filtration.
- If there are no materials for boiling, filter the water with 4 layers of thin clothes or filter paper and use the water.
- At the time of scarcity of food, drink boiled water mixed with one spoon of salt and 4 spoons of sugar in one litre of water. Drink it at a regular interval, to keep yourself from dehydrating.
- Get information on areas, where floodwaters have receded.
- Stay away from sink power lines, and report them to the concerned authority.
- Return home only when authorities indicate it is safe.
- Stay out of a building if it is surrounded by the floodwaters.
- Check septic tanks, cesspools, pits, and leaching system as soon as possible for immediate servicing.
- Clean with disinfectant everything that got soaked. Mud left from floodwater may contain waterborne germs and harmful chemicals.
And lastly, we should not forget to photograph the damage to your property for flood insurance. Check out the flood insurance policies of the dilapidated country or your own country ahead of time. Always try to buy an insurance policy that covers malicious act, flood, inundation, storm, cyclone, subsidence, landslide (including rockslide damage) impact damage, etc ( Check out the flood insurance policies in U.S. and INDIA )
Protect your electronic device ( iPhones, laptop , desktop computers and PDS etc. ) against flood and natural disasters worldwide. Get your iPhone insurance coverage today with rates as low as $4 per month!