Ice therapy is a wonderful escape for multiple health minor concerns. This article briefs you about ten of them.
1. Skin burns are itchy.
- Immediate application of ice can prevent inflammation and blisters.
2. A bleeding nose, resulting from excessive heat can be treated through ice therapy.
- The intensity of bleeding determines the period for application.
- It is better to pinch the soft portion of the nose, looking up while you rub ice on your cheeks and nose.
- The cold temperature permeates the skin and the muscles to constrict the blood vessels to stop bleeding.
3. Cuts and Wounds that are continuously bleeding can be controlled easily by ice therapy.
- With a clean piece of dry cloth, wrap the ice cube and apply it in the surrounding region in slow circular motion.
- In cases of serious wounds, avoid getting too close to the wound for the moisture can seep in causing infection and aggravating the circumstances.
4. Blood clots are generally a sign of a hidden injury.
- Ice therapy restores circulation and relieves pain at the site of injury.
- The blood vessels dilate because of the ice and thus the bleeding stops in the due course of time.
5. Swelling can be immensely painful.
- Even a certified medical practitioner would recommend ice therapy for pain and swelling.
6. For sprains, application of ice on the affected area can instantly relieve pain and bring down the inflammation.
- Circular motion is recommended since it covers a larger area in a small period.
7. Fevers can be treated effectively by wrapping pieces of cloth in ice cubes and applying them on the patient’s forehead, soles and arms.
8. Bee stings are often accompanied by burning sensation and pain.
- To prevent the same, apply a couple of ice cubes on the affected area immediately.
9. Summers and prickly pears resulting from sweat go hand and hand.
- Ice cubes, when rubbed on the affected area, can bring relief.
10. Ice therapy is beneficial for back pain.
- When suffering from back aches, wrap the ice in a piece of clean, dry cloth, and apply it on the affected region.
- However, be cautious not to leave it on the skin for more than twenty minutes.
It is advised to hold the ice cube with a piece of clean and dry cloth, especially when applying it on the head region. Direct contact with sensitive areas can lead to common cold and fever, heightening your discomfort.
Image Credit : Eric Lon – Flickr