Notice: Undefined index: full in /home3/fitlov6e/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cloudinary-image-management-and-manipulation-in-the-cloud-cdn/cloudinary.php on line 296
Your poor tresses suffer as much damage as your skin during the festival of colors. If you do not take precautions, you might have to spare long hours disturbed and frustrated trying to undo the damage caused by the colors. Here are some Hair Care Tips for Holi that will prevent the damage causing you to enjoy the festivities with nothing to hold you back.
Again, we have included both before and after measures so that you when to undertake which process to avoid damage to your precious tresses.
Before Playing Holi :
Deeply Moisturize Your Hair
Like your skin, you must moisturize your hair and you must also give your scalp a massage with either lukewarm coconut oil or olive oil. If you want extra protection, you can mix castor oil with either of the oils. The oil forms a greasy layer on the hair, trapping the colors on the hair shafts, not allowing them to penetrate the hair follicles or invade the scalp.
Do not let Your hair down
Holi is one of those few occasions when you must not let your hair down. Leaving it open not only makes it more susceptible to damage, but it also increases the chances of hair fall. To avoid the damage caused to your hair, wear it into a fashionable hairstyle. From tight buns with a bandana to cover the hair covering your forehead to those fashionable braids or even ponytails, anything can be beneficial.
After Playing Holi :
- After you have had your share of fun at the festivities,
- Do not immediately rush for the shower.
- If at all you do, stop your hands from reaching out for the shampoo and immediately pouring it all over your scalp.
- Rinse it thoroughly with plain running water before you do anything else.
- Moisten your hair generously with the water and lightly de-tangle the knots. It will help you get rid of the layer of colors, coating the layer of oil.
This hair care tip for holi is precious since not many have the patience to conduct the systematic process and cause more harm to their hair.
2. Did you oil your hair before you stepped out to bathe in colors? Which oil did you use? Was it light oil, like coconut oil or olive oil? Or, did you massage it with a heavy oil like castor oil or bhringaraj oil?
Depending on the nature of the oil, your choice of shampoo will vary.
- The former can be washed off easily with a mild shampoo.
- For the latter, you must first use a round of wash with mild shampoo to get rid of the colors followed by a second round of a stronger shampoo .
- The time gap between the subsequent rounds must be atleast 12 hours.
- Multiple washes dry out the hair and cause more hair fall.
- You can also use shikakai for washing your hair instead of a mild shampoo. For the same, get hold of some shikakai powder and put it in some lukewarm water overnight. Strain the water and use it to wash your hair.The light foam will cleanse your hair and leave you with an earthy smell.
A treasured hair care tip for holi, did you say? Not at all, a hair care commandment, they will tell you about!
3. In a case of itching and irritation of scalp,
- take some aloe vera gel, ice-cold water and eucalyptus essential oil.
- Mix it thoroughly and apply it on the scalp.
- Leave it as it is for an hour or so before applying a soothing hair mask.
The two-step process aids healthier scalp and better hair health.
4. The chemicals in the colors tend to make your hair rough and brittle.
- To save it from damage, condition your hair deeply with a hair mask.
- We recommend you to opt for a mixture of beaten eggs, some raw milk or yogurt with honey.
- Leave the hair mask on for an hour or two before you wash it off.
- To get rid of the smell of the eggs and yogurt, you will need a shampoo with a very strong smell.
5. Despite the hair mask, and even after getting rid of the color,
- we recommend that you must oil your hair every night for the upcoming week so that your hair regains its natural strength and vigor.
Hair is a part of your over all personality. Do not let the chemicals affect their health; nor must you let the fear let your festive spirits down.
With these hair care tips for holi, we think we have taken care of everything.
Image Credit: Flickr by Evonne